Release date: June 1, 2010.
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP80-14-0522
Loader Version: BT0410
Sub Version: MCU80-06-0118
This version is the latest firmware update for the BDP-80 model. Comparing to the previous official release version BDP80-10-1230, the major changes included in this version are:
1. Fix for the SACD pops/crackles issue. Some users have reported hearing pops or crackles between SACD tracks. This issue happens to certain discs that have data frames that are not aligned with track boundaries. This version removes such pops or crackles.
2. Improvement to MKV compatibility. Some MKV files do not play or play with severe video artifacts when using previous firmware. This version improves the playback of such files.
3. General disc compatibility improvement based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
4. Experimental feature - home network streaming. This feature can be accessed from the "My Network" icon in the "Home Menu" screen. It requires a DLNA-capable media server running on your computer. The supported media types are the common set of what the player can decode and what the media server can stream.
5. Experimental Feature - BluTV. This is an interactive television service that will initially feature channels such as casual games, widgets and movie art. To use this feature, the "BD-Live Network Access" item in the "Network Setup" section and the "Secondary Audio" item in the "Audio Format Setup" section of the player's setup menu must be turned on.
All features and improvements of the previous firmware are also included in this version.